Saturday, June 22, 2024
 September 7, 2023

4-year old twins found inside toy chest

Tragedy struck in a Jacksonville home where 4-year-old twins suffocated in a cedar toy chest.

In a horrifying incident that unfolded in a family home in Jacksonville, Florida, a pair of 4-year-old twins tragically lost their lives after crawling into a cedar toy chest and suffocating.

Sadie Myers, the twins’ mother, has shared details of the heart-wrenching events leading up to the discovery of her children, Aurora and Kellan Starr, in a desperate attempt to raise awareness about the hidden dangers of toy chests.

Jacksonville Sheriff's Office and first responders were dispatched to the residence around noon, following which life-saving efforts were performed. Sadly, the young souls were pronounced deceased at the scene.

Lieutenant Adam Blinn stated that interviews are being conducted with adults and children present at the home at the time. They are working with the Medical Examiner’s Office in the case. It's to ascertain whether the tragic occurrence was accidental or involved foul play.

Details of the devastating event unfold

Through Facebook posts, Sadie Myers narrated the agonizing details of the frantic search for the twins on that fateful morning. She mentioned how one of the older siblings found Aurora and Kellan thinking they were asleep.

Myers emphasized the airtight and soundproof nature of wooden chests, a detail she was unaware of prior to the tragic event, Fox News reported.

Sadie Myers mentioned the twins had a liking for sleeping in "weird" places, and she believes one of the kids must have kicked or moved, leading the lid to close.

The distressed mother reflected on the night before the incident, recounting that she had returned home from work, checked on her sleeping children, had dinner, and gone to bed, unaware of the tragedy that would unfold hours later. Sadie urged people to destroy any similar toy boxes to avert such tragedies in the future.

According to Sadie, “something in this universe chose them specifically.” She shared this emotional sentiment on Facebook, pouring her anguish and the inability to come to terms with the loss.

The family faces an outpouring of support and concerns

The GoFundMe page set up by Deanna Myers, Sadie's sister, described the couple as loving and selfless parents, who organized their shifts to ensure one of them was always home with their children.

The fundraising campaign aims to support the family in this dire time and has amassed almost $25,000, Yahoo News reported.

The community and the family are struggling to comprehend the magnitude of the loss. The family, in their deepest grief, has chosen not to comment further, as mentioned in an outreach by

Sadie Myers, in her Facebook post, emphasized how the twins “ended up sleeping in the toy chest and suffocated due to a lack of oxygen, a process she believes was slow and without sudden gasps for air.”

Lessons to learn from this tragedy

  • Understanding the risks associated with storage chests is essential: In a report by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) from 2014, at least 34 child deaths occurred between 1996 and 2014 due to incidents involving toy chests. The CPSC highlights the peril posed by storage chests and trunks that can automatically latch shut, trapping and suffocating children inside.
  • Ensuring safer storage solutions for toys: It is crucial to opt for storage solutions that are safe and secure, with safety mechanisms that prevent accidental closures.
  • Building awareness regarding potential hazards in home appliances and furniture: It is important for parents and guardians to be aware of the potential risks associated with various household items and furniture, thereby ensuring a safer environment for children.
  • Engaging in community awareness: Sharing knowledge and creating awareness in communities can help in preventing such tragedies. It is necessary for information to be circulated so that people are educated on the potential risks and safety measures to undertake.

Why this story touches hearts globally

The loss of Aurora and Kellan Starr has reverberated globally, shaking parents and guardians to the core.

Sadie Myers voiced her devastation, admitting her lack of knowledge about the hazardous nature of the toy chest. The mother believed it to be a safe place for her kids.

Communities worldwide are rallying around the family, with many sharing personal anecdotes and messages of support on the GoFundMe page. The heartfelt messages depict a world united in grief and a shared determination to prevent such incidents in the future.

Sadie Myers shared in her post, “I hope no other parent has to find their child lifeless.” Her poignant words echo the sentiments of countless parents around the world. Unfortunately, it serves as a painful reminder of the unimaginable loss.

Please share this article on Twitter and Facebook.

Related Posts

Written By: Rampart Stonebridge

I'm Rampart Stonebridge, a curious and passionate writer who can't get enough of true crime. As a criminal investigative journalist, I put on my detective hat, delving deep into each case to reveal the hidden truths. My mission? To share engaging stories and shed light on the complexities of our mysterious world, all while satisfying your curiosity about the intriguing realm of true crime.
Copyright © 2024 - U.S. Crime News | All Rights Reserved.